Eagle-eyed editor with 18 years’ experience in high-tech, literary, and corporate publishing. I have a Master’s Degree in Technical and Professional Writing (with a focus on technical editing) from Northeastern University and a BA in English (Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa) from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. I read style guides for fun. I have documentation for products I do not own. I correct typos in paperbacks. This work truly is who I am, and I love every minute of it.
- Copy Editing
- Substantive Editing
- Technical Writing
- Technical Editing
- Writing Coaching
- Author and SME communication and collaboration
- Translating complex information into natural, engaging content
- Creating balance and unity within and across documents
- EFL (English as a Foreign Language) and offshore documentation issues
- Expert-level Microsoft Word skills including Track Changes, macros, templates, advanced formatting tools, more.
- Exceptional command of the English language:
- Grammar, punctuation, spelling, usage
- Style, voice, idiom, level of detail and formality
- US and UK conventions
- All major style guides: CMS, NYT, Microsoft, AP, APA, MLA, Turabian, Redbook,
and an ever-burgeoning collection of custom style sheets
- All major authoring environments:
Microsoft Word, Adobe Acrobat Pro, Drupal, Robo-Help, others
- Descriptive markup languages: DocBook, HTML, XML, DITA, Markdown, Wikitext
- Ruthless attention to detail
- Irrational love of tight deadlines
- Author, Editors Explained: A Self-Publisher’s Guide to Finding, Hiring, and Working With a Freelance Editor (forthcoming)
- Copy Editor, The Legal Side of Blogging: How Not to Get Sued, Fired, Arrested, or Killed
Amazon Best Seller by Ruth Carter, one of ABA Journal’s Legal Rebels of 2012
- Contributing Editor, The Mindful Money Mentality, Holly Thomas
- Copy Editor, Building High-Performance People and Organizations:
How to Un-Boil a Frog: The Engaged Employee as a Lever for Change, Hanley Brite
- Copy Editor, Tall Omaha, Kristine Oakhurst
- Copy Editor, Rogue Trade, Jeff Sickelco
- Copy Editor, How to Succeed in Evil: Hostile Takeover, Patrick E. McLean
- Copy Editor, Discount Miracles, Brand Gamblin
- Copy Editor, The Recipe, Maisy Dee
- Copy Editor, How to Succeed in Evil, Patrick E. McLean
- Copy Editor, Enter the Bluebird, Brendan Halpin
- Copy Editor, Love Recycled, Katy Kern
- Author, original articles on technology for the Kofax Advisor blog (The Targeted Group client)
- Editor, blog posts and legal websites for Lexis Nexis Site Essentials clients
- Editor, blog posts and social media content for Sitewire Content Marketing clients
- Author, Life After NaNoWriMo: What’s Next for Your Novel?, ePublish Unum
- Author, blog posts on writing technique, good words (right order)
Principal Writer and Editor
Bancroft Editorial Services, Stow, MA 2003 to Present
Partial Client List:
- Lexis Nexis Site Essentials: Website Development
Edited custom legal website content. Assessed quality of content provided by contract writers. Edited, rewrote, and proofread custom content for legal blogs.
- The Targeted Group
Wrote original technology articles and social media content.
- good words (right order)
Provided individual writing coaching for busy professionals.
Copy edited social media content; provided 24-hour turnaround for Facebook, Twitter, and blog posts.
Wrote and edited online help, formula reference guides, and code sample database for Intuit QuickBase.
Designed a “First Five Minutes” user experience for three different user roles. Wrote and edited online help.
Edited existing documentation and wrote new content for a modular user guide to address three distinct audiences: Novice Users (Quick Start Guide), Advanced Users (User Guide), and IT Professionals (Implementation Guide). All new content based solely on wireframes, specs, and engineer interviews. Designed a single-source editorial process to simplify future revisions.
- nSight, Inc.
Wrote, edited and proofread academic, technical, and corporate materials including textbooks, web copy, user manuals, whitepapers, support documentation, and online help.
Writer and Editor
AMTI, Waltham, MA 2010 to 2012
Responsible for a substantial library of documentation for force measurement devices, orthopedic implant testing machines, and other specialty instruments. Wrote and edited customer support content, installation manuals, and technical marketing content.
Technical Writer and Editor
ClearPoint Metrics (now nCircle), Burlington, MA 2008 to 2009
Wrote and edited administrative manuals, user guides, and technical marketing content. Created a single-source content library, custom Office templates, and company style guide.
Copy Editor and Proofreader
Jones and Bartlett Learning, Sudbury, MA 2003 to 2003
Copy edited and proofread a wide variety of academic materials and textbooks.
Interaction/Usability Engineer, Principal Writer
WebCT (now Blackboard) Lynnfield, MA 2000 to 2003
Responsible for all UI documentation. Designed user interactions and navigation for e-learning software. Built user profiles and personas. Wrote and edited usability test guides, scripts, findings reports, and research reviews.
Deutsche Bank, NY, NY 1996 to 2000
Wrote and edited all documentation for custom-built applications including training, user guides, and online help. Designed and administered bank-wide Y2K database and application approval process. Built custom tracking and approval applications.
Northeastern University, Boston, MA 1994 to 1996
Taught basic composition and technical writing to more than 300 students.
Northeastern University, Boston, MA 1994 to 1996
Taught drafting and revision for essays, research papers, articles, and dissertations. Specialized in EFL (English as a Foreign Language) and cross-cultural style issues.
Master’s Degree in Technical and Professional Writing
(with a focus on technical editing)
Boston, MA 1996
Bachelor of Arts Degree in English Literature
Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa
University of Massachusetts
Amherst, MA 1992